Imagine how much effort and energy kids put up in almost everything they do. The significance of a sufficient amount of uninterrupted sleep for everyone, especially the kids cannot be undermined.
It is important to keep your child’s energy levels boosted up and this can be achieved if the child gets a good night’s sleep.
Thus, we must know the three wonders that good sleep can do for our children. Let’s have a look:
- A peaceful state of mind – Proper sleep inculcates a feeling of serenity to the mind. After a sound sleep, your child is good to go for observing and learning things with full concentration.
- Better growth of mind and body – While we are asleep, it is the body that stays active subconsciously and our skin, bones, and muscles grow and heal up little injuries gradually. Moreover, the immunity of the body also stays strong if our kids enjoy a peaceful undisturbed sleep.
- Enhances learning abilities – If the kids get proper sleep, their minds stay healthy and the retention power of the brain gets enhanced with age automatically.
Sleeping pattern per day varies with kids age:
- Babies need sleep for 15 to 18 hours.
- Toddlers need sleep for 12 to 14 hours.
- Kids aged up to 6 years sleep for 10 to 12 hours.
- Children between 6 to 12 years sleep for 10 to 11 hours.
- Those between 12 to 18 years sleep for 8 to 9 hours.
Irrespective of the age of children, making them sleep is definitely a formidable task. So, we are providing you with some useful tips to help your child get a good night’s sleep.
Singing or playing Lullabies, rhymes, or gentle music.
It brings comfort and sleeps to babies. The sound of your voice has the power to soothe and calm your baby. Singing lullabies to your child soothes them, rhythmic and patterned sounds, and a calm and relaxing atmosphere. If you are blessed with not so great voice like me, you can always play some lovely melody.
Ensure proper darkness and silence in the bedroom.
Darkness is important for deep, restorative sleep and a regular sleep clock. Keep all your electronic gadgets(mobile phones or tablets) away from the room and turn off or cover any electronic lights before bed. Try using kitchen gadgets like a dishwasher or mixer before your child sleeps. Watch your favorite TV show in low volume.
The nightwear must be comfortable enough to put an end to those sleep time struggles. Many children have the habit of rolling over the bed and pulling out any comforter or sheets given to them. It is thus recommended nightwear should be as comfortable and protective as possible. Loose comfortable, cotton clothing in summer and in winters warm thermal wear beneath their clothing to keep them warm and cozy. If using an air conditioner, make your child wear full sleeves top and the bottom covering the legs. In winter cover the head and ears with a hood or a scarf.
Bedtime stories to help your child get a good night’s sleep.
There are enough studies to prove that the magic of reading actually starts working on kids at quite an early age, triggering their development, cultivating imagination besides offering other significantly. As you spend time reading a bedtime story with your child, it helps create a unique bond between the two of you. If a routine of two stories at bedtime is being followed, they would look forward to it with sheer delight and relaxation. Well, the more relaxed these tiny tots get, the more likely they will go to bed easily and fall asleep quickly. That’s the power of bedtime stories.
You may like to read our Post The proven benefits of reading to your young children.
A gentle massage for relaxing night’s sleep.
A gentle massage before your baby’s bedtime each night is certainly worth a try. Massaging your child before going to bed helps to soothe and relax their muscles, she’ll sleep peacefully at night and be more active during the day.
You may also like to read our Post Potty training.
You may also like to read our Post Nanny or daycare for your child?
To conclude, we recommend taking charge of your kid’s sleep with dedication. We all are aware that long working hours and unending tasks at home put a toll on the sleeping routine of your kids but for the sake of their health, try putting more effort and time to their sound sleep, for a healthy mind and healthy body.